Sunday, April 7, 2013

2007 Crown Royal Presents The Jim Stewart 400 @ Richmond International Raceway

Race #2

continued from Race #1

Richmond International Raceway

It was early 2007 and I had just watched one of the closest Daytona 500 races ever with Kevin Harvick edging out Mark Martin by 0.02 seconds while Clint Bowyer came sliding across the finish line on his roof.

NOTE: Clint walked away from the crash

By that Monday after the Daytona 500, I had the itch to go see another race for 5 months. (since my Race #1)  It was still cold in the northeast so it was hard to imagine going to a live sporting event that time of year.
I started researching tracks and after a few weeks decided to make Richmond International Raceway the venue I would see my second race.  It would be the first race (of many) that I set up all travel arrangements (since Race #1 was planned by others).
My reasoning for choosing Richmond:

   -quick flight from New York City
   -proximity of Richmond International Airport to the track/hotels (Richmond Map)
   -NIGHT RACE!!!

I went with Chad and my brother who were the same fans I went to Race #1 with so I knew it wasn't just me that had the itch for another race.

The few months leading up to that race at Richmond were a huge turning point in my life.
   -I had met the woman of my dreams who would become my wife.
   -I went from a small architecture firm (my first job out of college) to my current job which I have     
    been happily employed at for over 6 years.
   -I was now a real NASCAR fan. (in my mind anyway)

September 29, 2012

The night before I was leaving for Richmond, Danielle (see "the woman of my dreams" above) and I went to a baseball game at Yankee Stadium.  Of course it was in the early stages of dating and we stayed at the bar late after the game.  I wasn't thinking about being so tired (hungover) the next morning because we were having fun.  To make a long story short, we nearly missed our Saturday morning flight to Richmond - we had to convince one of the gate attendants to let us on the plane. You will soon come to realize I am all about the parlay (usually NASCAR & golf).

We made it to Richmond and the weather wasn't agreeing with our or NASCAR's plans.  We tailgated for hours and had a blast meeting new people.  The tailgating at Richmond is reason enough to go back there time after time!  From the two person tailgates Danielle and I have had there to the huge tailgates we have been invited to join in, it's just an experience words can't describe.

the Richmond 2 person tailgate

So after Chad, my brother and I tailgated, we bought some ponchos and made our way into the track.  It was our first night race so were praying the weather would clear but forecasts didn't look so good.  We sat at our seats in turn 4 (now one of my favorite places to sit for races there) and were super psyched when the cars started up their engines.  I remember walking into the track on the backstretch and the national anthem started on our walk to turn 4.  Everyone and I mean everyone stopped what they were doing, removed their hats and addressed the flag that stands for the freedom we have in this great country.  It was a very moving experience and something that still gives me (good) chills when I think about the memory.  See "Patriotism at Richmond International Raceway" from Race #1 .

The cars started and made 12 laps before NASCAR made the call to postpone the race until the following day. We made our way back to the car in a light mist and proceeded to tailgate for a bit with our neighbors while cars dissipated.  After making our way back to the hotel and getting a good night's rest, we had to figure out how we would watch the race since our flight was scheduled to depart midway through the Sunday race.  My brother went online and found a reasonable rate for a one way rental to New York City.  Problem solved - we would get to see our first race at Richmond International Raceway!!!  We watched the entire race which I just watched again via youtube.  You can watch it here:  2007 Jim Stewart 400 @ RIR video

NOTE: one of the benefits of a Saturday night race - it can be postponed and people don't have to worry about taking the next day off from work.

The racing was fantastic and just what I had imagined a short track to be like.  This would be the first time I witness Jimmie Johnson win a race out of the 6 times he has won while I'm at a track.


We had such a great time that I didn't mind the drive home and would soon start planning my next trip to Richmond so I could see a night race!  I believe I have only missed 3 Richmond races since that beautiful May Sunday in 2007.  After all, it is America's Premier Short Track.  You can take my word for it since I have been to every short track (tracks under 1 mile in length) on the NASCAR circuit.

See you in 19 days, @RIRInsider !

   

No comments:

Post a Comment