Friday, March 8, 2013

my journey to becoming a NASCAR fan

my journey to becoming a NASCAR fan

Growing up in NYC and CT, I had the same misconception manypeople "not in the south" have about NASCAR – a bunch of cars drivingaround in circles.  Contrary to unpopular belief, there are no circle tracks on the NASCAR circuit.  The season is made up of races at variations of ovals and road courses.  

See NASCAR's track descriptions here: NASCAR tracks

Even though my bestfriend growing up was into NASCAR, I never got into the sport.  It was 2002 (my last year of college) and wewere at our ski house in Killington, VT after a ½ day of skiing, when wedecided to watch the Daytona 500 before heading back to school/home.  I quietly enjoyed the race and chose thedriver I would cheer for (still to this day) in NASCAR.

2002 Daytona 500

I didn’t watch another race until the 2003Daytona 500, which began a tradition of me watching this race every year.  Over the years, I realized other friends(both blue & white collar) enjoyed watching fast cars so they began to joinin the tradition.  FACT: most men like fast cars – the speed, adrenaline, risk – it’s allthere.   Living on a lake in CT, theend of summer was a sad time…   …until2006.  A friend/colleague had a clientinvite him along w/ 2 friends to the Sylvania 300 NASCAR race in NH onSeptember 17, 2006 and the rest is history…

Dale Earnhardt Jr. (the driver I chose in 2002)
@ NHMS 2006 Sylvania 300

Since that sunny fall day in 2006, I have been to 30 races at 10 different tracks which will make for interesting stories at later dates.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about experiences or NASCAR in general. @themike79

No comments:

Post a Comment